Just another afternoon siesta

"Sleeping?"

I felt a finger poke me in the ribs through my thin blanket. I huffed in reply.

"How long have you been sleeping?"

"I didn't get any sleep last night." I protested in a muffled voice, from under the covers.
A soft thump told me that my dog, Ben, had joined my father's side to wake me up from my afternoon nap.

"Why?" Dad prodded.

"I was scared, after watching that...horror...film." I said, refusing to take my head out from under the blanket.

Dad clucked in response, probably in derision, to voice his disappointment at his twenty two year old's reaction to a B-grade exorcism.

"Oh, by the way, after I climbed into your's and Mom's bed last night, you asked me, forty minutes later, mind you, 'Is it you, mamma?' Honestly Dad, who else would it have been?"

Ben was now standing on the bed, his front paws, on my Dad's chest, leaning over and trying to lick my face. I burrowed my head deeper under my pillow.

My Mom laughed at my comment and settled herself next to Dad and Ben.

"Look at Ben! He wants to play with you..." my Mom said, trying to coax me out from under the blanket.


I muttered something incoherent in response.

My Mom pushed at our side further. It was anyway a bit of a squeeze with three adults and one full grown dog on the king-size bed.

Ben was sandwiched between Mom and Dad. Dad was almost on my pillow. I was almost rolling off the bed. Anyway I had a habit of sleeping at one extreme side, no matter what the size of the bed.

"Mom....please..." I grumbled. "I'm gonna fall."

Ben decided he wasn't getting enough attention. He burrowed his head at Dad's side, and began licking his face and nibbling at his moustache.

I turned fractionally and poked my head out from under the blanket to be able to breathe better. My nose was in the crook of my Dad's neck.

"See Ben, Didi is getting all of Dad's attention."

"No, Mom! Why would you say that to him?"

My insanely large and insanely jealous dog jumped up, squarely hitting my Dad on the chest, and proceeded to pull my blanket away.

I cried in protest at the loss of the warmth and then started yelling as Ben began licking every inch of my face. 

"No, Ben....STOP!" 

Clearly, licking me wasn't enough punishment for my heinous crimes, so he began nibbling my ears, and breathing into my hair till it tickled.

"Mom! Tell him to stop...MUMMY!" I screeched.


I linked my right elbow through my Dad's left elbow in a desperate attempt to not roll off the bed entirely as Ben nudged me over the edge.

I screamed helplessly as half my body dangled in mid-air, my legs trying to find purchase. This bed was high and my feet couldn't find the ground. The only thing keeping me from falling was my right arm linked to my Dad's.

"Mom please just call him off!" I yelled as Ben continued to chew on my ears in a non-threatening way.

She did. And after much deliberation, my dog realised that I was no longer a threat to his position as Dad's favourite person in the house, and crawled into the space between my parents.

Dad yanked me up with his arm. 

Ben looked at me dolefully, his snout visible from under Dad's other shoulder. Mom was disproportionately amused by the proceedings and was wiping tears of laughter from her eyes.

I got up, grumbling about rabid dogs and rabid parents, as I collected my pillows and blankets and stormed off to another room, my afternoon nap having successfully come to a premature end.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True Love

This is for Lia and her family

In the void of space, across time